Friday, February 28, 2014

RED FANG interview

by Michela A.

What do Red Fang and The Stranglers have in common? Is everything we see in Red Fang videos happening for real? What would guitarist and singer Bryan Giles do now in his life if he wasn’t playing in Red Fang? If you keep losing sleep wondering about this and more (and now, of course, you will!) just feed up your curiosity reading these lines!
We had the chance to meet Bryan just before Red Fang blasting show at Bloom, opened by their tour-buds Lord Dying and Shrine.

Now hitting Europe with their last kick-ass release “Whales and Leeches”, the four-piece from Portland, Oregon, keeps making heads bang hard playing in jam packed-venues and electrifying crowds of all sorts. Incontrovertible evidence that since their beer-fuelled beginnings in 2009 Red Fang really haven’t missed a shot.


gan: So Bryan, what about “Whales and leeches” European tour? You’re just at the beginning, aren’t you? How’s it going?

It’s going quite well, yeah! Better than expected, good crowds, that’s fun, energetic crowds!


gan: Will you be touring any new country this time? I mean, countries Red Fang have never been to?

Turkey! I’m excited about that! Actually, we were supposed to play there in June 2013 on our last tour, but it got cancelled due to increasing rioting there...

gan: Really?

Yes, the venue we were supposed to play was near Taksim Square (the main area where people were protesting) and the office of the local promoter was gas bombed the day before the show... So they decided it would have been a bad idea to play there...

gan: I understand...I hope that the situation is better now for Turkish people in particular, and also for your show.

Yes, we hope so too.

gan: Turkey aside, is there any other place you’ve never been where you would like to play?

Yes! Plenty of places. We’ve been trying to go to Japan for a long time but we had difficulty there finding a promoter who is interested in rolling the dice and taking Red Fang to Japan. But we continue to try, we’re pushing to do it, so hopefully we will...I’ve always wanted to see Japan!

gan: So good luck with Japan! Let’s go now to your new album “Whales and leeches”..is the title a kind of pun?

Well...no, it’s not a pun actually. Honestly, I probably came up with “Whales and leeches” because of the Madness(?) song. There was a lyric in the song... (and whales and leeches is also a song of our first album) and, yes, I think the original lyrics were something like *singing* “ Walking on the beaches/looking at the peaches” ta na na na.. ta na na na...Which song is it? Is it from Madness?! I don’t know! (gan: The Stranglers’ song “Peaches”).

gan: Well it’s always interesting to discover where album or song titles come from!! And the more unexpected...the more interesting they are!! What many people appreciate of Red Fang is that despite you hit it big, you always seem to be so down-to-earth, I mean, never being big-headed, always hilarious and taking it on the ironic side...Do you find yourselves in this description?

Well it’s very exciting that there are people caring about your band and it has never happened to me before so, that’s nice! But I don’t think we’re having any illusions, I mean, it’s popular culture, it’s great that things are going well for us now, but people’s attitudes and tastes change and we happen to be doing something that people currently enjoy. We hope we can keep doing it, but for my own thing is..”enjoy it while it lasts” ‘cause you never know..It could disappear tomorrow..

gan: That’s probably the best approach! Your videos are fucking killing...But..is everything true? Did you build by yourselves the cans-armors in Prehistoric Dog video?

Oh no! But we collected the cans and we cleaned many of them...
gan: Fucking hard work cleaning tons of cans!

Yeah, we cleaned over 4000 cans!!! Well, pretty disgusting work but... everything was made by the director, Whitey (gan: Whithey McConnaughy), he is really a very creative guy and he made all the weapons and armors. One of the reasons why I was so excited about working with Whitey before we ever did any videos with him was he did a video for a band from Portland, called “Panther”, you can see it on whiteyfilms.com, it was from maybe 12 years ago or something and the whole video takes place in a cardboard room, I mean, where everything is made of cardboard: a working record player made in cardboard, a cell phone made in cardboard, a dancing dog made in cardboard and he made all this stuff himself! He’s so...when he gets focused on something he really does it!

gan: Amazing!!! So do all the ideas for the video come from him?

Yes!

gan: And what about the air guitar battle in “Hank is dead” video? It’s awesome!!! Did it really take place?

Yeah, of course!! It really happened! We were going on tour, I think we had three weeks before going on tour and we made up a thing because he wanted to do a video with us before we left on tour and it seemed crazy, because we had few time and few ideas. Then, it seemed the most feasible, but I didn’t really believe that people would show up that soon, you know but, there is a huge community of air guitarists and professional air guitarists...I did have no idea before!!

gan: Really?

Yeah! Nationally ranked air guitar players!!!

gan: God! And apart from the air guitarists, are people in your videos friends of yours? Fans?

Well, mostly friends and...fans. We try to get there as many friends as possible, you know, it’s more fun-first and it makes the day better if you have friends there!

gan: I think everybody would like to take part in one of your videos!!

You know, Aaron’s dad got in the last one! He’s the scientist, the older scientist with the white mustache. He flew up from Denver to be in the video!!! Like “I’m going to be in the next video” and then right, he bought a ticket and came there!!

gan: Cool! And are all your videos set in Portland?

Yes...

gan: Now, would you like to tell us something about “Blood like cream”? I mean, in the video we have kind of beer-addicted zombies...but what does blood like cream actually mean?

Well, I didn’t write the lyrics, Aaron did, but it’s my understanding that blood like cream is a reference to blood in lactation, well, he had a child recently and the song is about the stress of trying to be in a band and having a own life as well. But making a video about that wouldn’t be as exciting as zombies and beer!

gan: Interesting! Some critics welcome “Whales and leeches” as more thorough and well-finished than “Red Fang” and “Murder the Mountains”...do you agree with that? Do you see any progression in your song writing process?


Well, I think there’s been a progression, I mean, our song-writing style has changed a little bit because we wrote this record in a short period of time, we didn’t have much time. In the past we used to write a part and then re-write it and re-write it.. and going crazy on it sometimes! But this time, the ideas were more the original ideas. So we came with an idea and run with it instead of torture it, so I think it’s a more off the cuff record. Actually it’s not that overly thought out...

gan: More spontaneous!

Exactly!

gan: And what about the recording process? Did you also spend less time in studio?

We took more time...we used the same producer, and the same engineers...

gan: Chris Funk?

Yes, and the same mixing engineer so...we were more accustomed to it and things moved a little faster but we took more time, we didn’t wanna feel rushed, we wanted to capture the ideas. Maybe we took 3 or 4 more days recording it than we did with the previous times...but...it’s pretty much the same process...and feeling more comfortable...

gan: Some bands have concept albums..do you?
No we don’t...I don’t say we won’t but...we don’t...

gan: What do you think about concept albums?

Well, some are pretty cool.. like “The Wall”, I mean...

gan: Would you like to tell us something about the lyrics now? Is there any particular message you would like to convey to your listeners?

For me...well, my lyrics are often...kind of free associations with angst and this sort of things in my life...expressing that it’s...a little way like a therapy to get it out!

gan: So personal life…

My own yes...then, Aaron’s are a little more conceptual, thematic, more telling stories. He does more third person stuff and I do more first person...

gan: “Old” animals seem to be a kind of recurring theme of you...isn’t it? Yet starting from the name (fang) and then Prehistoric Dog and the albums’ artwork...

Yeah, we’ve noticed that and...we don’t know why, but it keeps happening...it’s like “Oh another animal!” “Great!”

gan: But who comes out with them? I’m also thinking about your albums’ artworks...

Oh, do you mean the saber-tooth tiger?

gan: Yes, too.

Well, the artist is the same person who did lots of our drummer’s tattoos and we asked him to draw something for us...and...I don’t know if we asked for skulls but I think that, well, we already had the song “Prehistoric Dog” and so maybe he took inspiration from that song!

gan: Actually the skull has become a kind of symbol of Red Fang...I keep seeing it on t-shirts and posters...

Yeah we keep making different t-shirts but that shirt consistently sells much more than the other ones so...more often people look for the skull shirt, even though we have new ones!! But actually I think it’s great to have an image that people can associate with your band.

gan: Any other recurring themes?
Let me think...negativity???

gan: Of course! And fluids? Blood recurring in your songs...water, whales...and then...beer in the videos!

Ahahahah!! Yes it could be...blood, black water, and then whales and sharks which live in water...
gan: Your first album is from 2009 but you all look pretty… “grown up” (laughing) so...

Ahahahah! You...You mean we’re old???

gan: Ahahahah! No, please, just kidding!! Don’t take it seriously! It was just to introduce my following question...What were Red Fang doing before 2009? When and how were Red Fang born actually?

Well, John, David and I, we have had a previous band for...3 or 4 years and then that band broke up. Then I started to play with Aaron while I was living in another city but...I’ve been playing in bands since I was..not a grown-up, you know! 14 maybe so...about 25 years playing!

gan: Did you all grow up in Portland?

No, none of us did, we all grew up somewhere else and then met there. Aaron has been living there the longest, I think 15-17 years...I personally, I’ve been there about 12 years...so we all moved from different places.

gan: How’s the music scene there in Portland today?

That’s great! There are tons of really good bands, it’s cool and I think it’s even getting better. It was never bad, the scene has always been very strong, but I think now there are even more bands...

gan: Poison Idea are from Portland, aren’t they?


Yes! And also...Dead Moon are form Portland, who else? Wipers are from there...we have a rich history of hard rock...Well, nationally today Portland is known more for bands like the Decemberists, some more emo bands or modern, like alternative folk bands. And Portland has lots of venues and bands so...whatever you play, the community is very strong there.

gan: How is the social context there? Is there any organization or movement you support or belong to?

Oh...not so much, although we’ve been talking about trying to do something to help out the homeless. In Portland there are lots of people living in the streets and we were shooting “Blood like cream” video under the bridge and there were a lot of actually homeless people that were living there and...under the bridge is something people do not really want to see all the time, you know, a hood...So maybe we can do something about it, instead of just trampling over there and trampling our environment all the time. Maybe we can do something positive too...

gan: I think that’s a great starting point. Coming back to Red Fang now, I know you do not restrict your music to a particular genre...but many people define you as “stoner-metal”..do you agree with this definition? I know you don’t care too much about that…

That’s right, I don’t care too much actually...anyway, I wouldn’t consider our music stoner or metal...l mean, I like both of those styles of music but then again it’s hard to keep using words to describe music. It’s inefficient. We just consider ourselves hard rock and we have different styles from song to song, you can say this one is more metal and another one is more stoner... We do some stonery things but we try not to be anyone thing if we can and it keeps us far from being boring for us and hopefully for the crowd...

gan: I think you reached your goal.. definitely!

We’re like...variety hard rock...hard rock variety shows!!

gan: Ahahah! What kind of music do you listen to?

All kinds of music, I like old country, I do not particularly care for new country... but country like Patsy Cline, Hank Williams Senior, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash...

gan: What about blues then?


I don’t listen to a whole lot of blues. I had in the past, I listened to Robert Johnson’s stuff for example. Well I know that where all of our riffs come from is...the blues! That’s it, American blues! And they don’t give it enough credit... heavy metal pretty comes from there as well! I mean, Led Zeppelin or better Black Sabbath someway invented it but they were stealing from the blues guys like people have been doing for years!

gan: I agree with you. When did you start playing the guitar?

When I was 13, 14...

gan: And singing too?
Well it was later, I didn’t start singing until early 2000...I’ve played in instrumental bands for a longtime...

gan: Do you play any other instruments?

Not well! I can play piano and trumpet a little bit...I used to be decent at trumpet but it’s not a skill you keep if you do not do it all the time. But I enjoy it.

gan: Which guitar do you use now?

I use 2 guitars and the main one is a Mustang...
gan: A Fender then...

Yes a Fender Mustang which has been modified: the body has been shaped down to a different shape and I stopped using the sixth string, the highest, on my guitar a longtime ago. So now it is a five-string guitar and I typically play that guitar. The other one is the same guitar, it’s just the stock version.
gan: And what about the tuning?

We started out pretty much playing only in standard tuning, although my 5 strings guitar is E A D G and another G but now we do standard drop D and drop C and so it’s moving in that direction and... getting lower! Which is good because it gets hard to sing high notes, you know...

gan: We talked a little bit about lyrics before.. how do you and Aaron share lyrics and also vocals duties?

Well, we switch around a lot, a lot of times I write the verse and he writes the chorus and we don’t even communicate what our ideas are. We just sing, maybe I sing the chorus and he sings the verse and then listen and see if the idea is made up.. or not . And also a lot of times he comes up with the vocal lines and I just give a shout and try to sing them too. Then we see whose voice is more suited to and decide who will go on the record and how we will perform it.

gan: Great!

Yes, I enjoy it. Aaron actually writes some of the best lyrics I sing...”Throw up” verses are his...and I sing.

gan: Cool! What would you do now in your life if you weren’t playing with Red Fang?

Well I would be bartendering...that’s what I’ve been doing before! I don’t know, I also thought that maybe becoming a neon sign maker would be fun...

gan: Ahahah! Really?

Yes, but I’m not sure if people buy neon signs anymore...Well I would be in this band forever, I can’t actually think about something else.

gan: Any future project for Red Fang? What will you do after the tour?

Well we will try to record a 7-inch when we get home and try to have that out in the middle of this year.
And then our goal is to get back in the studio early in 2015 and have a new record out by the summer 2015...

gan: So a very detailed schedule!!!


Oh yeah, it took us a longtime between our last albums and to come out with “Whales and leeches” and we do not want to take that long again...

gan: You also have a long tour on your way...


Yeah we’ll be playing until next summer and we’re booking more dates...so ...we have a pretty good idea, better a rough sketch, of what we will be doing all the way up until fall, so we will try to squeeze in recording and song writing stuff as well. So…we will be doing mostly...band stuff!

gan: No time for any side project then...

Well, I don’t but...I’m hoping to start a side project with a member of our tour-staff, because he and I, we are at home at the same time! I’m always on tour but...he too so...If I ever have time to be in another band and to do song writing with someone else, I want to do it with someone I get along with...so... a side project is on my schedule!

gan: Any differences between European and US crowds?

Well I think crowds are a little bigger over here and people in Europe are a little more excited about Red Fang than in US but, also US crowd is great I mean, but it seems that in general American crowds are a little harder to get moving, they’re like “impress me!”...maybe there’s more interest here because we come from another place “They are an American band, they flew overseas to do this tour”...so this could increase the interest maybe...The same way we are more excited with European bands there!

gan: Any funny stories during the tour so far?

Hmm...Let me think...yes I got one! John, the drummer, yesterday crowdsurfed for the first time and it was pretty exciting! Pretty cool! You see? Even grownups crowdsurf! Ahahahaha!

gan: Ahahaha! Well, you have a long tour ahead...so...plenty of funny stories to come! That’s all for us Bryan! Thank you for your time! Have a great show and blow the venue up!

Thanks to gotanerve-zine.


Red Fang photo by Tim Tronckoe

No comments:

Post a Comment